Our No Sugar Challenge – 16 weeks later!
16 weeks in to the no sugar challenge and we have made real lifestyle changes. The bigger kids still whinge & moan, but they probably would whatever we did! Johan and I have both noticed some big weight losses – 8 kg for him and a whopping 17 kg for me – way to lose baby weight! I am not sure if the breastfeeding helps…but I certainly didn’t lose much through breastfeeding with my other two children.
The nice part is I am fitting into clothes I haven’t worn since before I had my eldest son 11 years ago, so that is a big plus for me.
It hasn’t been easy and I have definitely had times where I really wanted food with sugar in (particularly when menstruating), but remembering how much I have lost weight wise has been a big motivator. A few times when I have actually broken and eaten sugar-rich foods, it tasted dreadful. This was particularly disappointing when it came to ice-cream – a huge weakness of mine in the past. I have learned to make a great substitute using dextrose & when you make it yourself you don’t eat it as often because it takes a while to make 🙂
Another interesting thing has been in starting my little one on solid foods…she has not been so keen on the sweeter foods like banana and apple, which my other two loved.
Overall it has been a huge success for our family and a chang we will stick to….I even ignored the dessert at a family barbecue last night & didn’t feel deprived.
Please let me know if your family are trying the challenge too, as it is great to hear how other people are coping.
- How to Reduce your Sugar Intake (healthybodylife.com) recommends fruit…but I think if you have cut out all other processed sugar this ok so long as you limit to two serves a day!
- Strange Psychological Response to Sugary Food (belmarrahealth.com)
- A Sweet Treat (kimskitchenblogdotcom.wordpress.com)
- Sugar vs. Cocaine: Which is More Addictive? (zazenlife.com)
- Sneaky Places Sugar is Hiding (belmarrahealth.com)